25 February 2013

An Irish Pub in La Paz Bolivia

An Irish Pub in La Paz Bolivia

by Jonny Blair

I'm surprised it's taken me this long to actually write about my trip to the Wild Rover in La Paz, Bolivia, also known as the world's highest Irish Pub. And it's official. I have also been to Paddy Flaherty's in Cuzco which claims to be the highest (and many others in Peru and Bolivia do), but for now the limelight is on the Wild Rover and the madness within.

Housed in the lofty Bolivian city of La Paz, you can find the Wild Rover Backpackers on 1476 Comercio Street. I wasn't actually staying there mind you, I chose to stay at the nearby Loki Hostel instead (it's literally round the corner). On the first floor of the Wild Rover backpackers is housed a cosy, friendly wee Irish Pub, also of course known as the Wild Rover. At an elevation of well over 3,000 metres above sea level, this little enclave away from the monstrocity of La Paz had the nice honour of being the world's highest Irish Pub. So I just had to pop in!

The Wild Rover is a decent place not just for the pub - you can organise tours from it - to all over Bolivia and indeed they helped book my Salar tour and a few of my buses. I didn't have time to do everything I wanted in La Paz but I found time for a relaxing beer in the world's highest Irish Pub and I stood on the pitch at the world's highest football stadium.

I glanced at the walls of the pub and was pleased to see a picture of Geordie Best on there. He's a Northern Irish hero of mine and he made it up on the wall of the world's highest Irish Pub - I reckon he'd have been proud of that!

Even-ing things up I guess. Most Irish pubs only have the Irish Tricolour, and politics aside, I always carry my Northern Ireland flag! The proudness of being Northern Irish exists on the island as well you know. This was a very happy moment, but not the best moment in the pub...

Then as I sat down at the bar, I recognised the accent of the guy serving me! It was a strong Northern Irish accent! The first other Northern Irish person I had met in South America. Serving me an ice cold Pacena beer was Grant McParland, all the way from Carryduff in County Down, Norn Iron!!!

Grant gives up working in order to join me for a beer - amazing. Having a chat in the world's highest irish pub with a guy from just down the road. Grant puts on his County Down Gaelic top and we chat away!

The football was also on, with Liverpool playing live. The match was live as this was mid afternoon when I had popped in, and the UK would have been a few hours ahead. It was a European game against Utrecht, and I met a girl from Dublin also in there who was wearing a Liverpool shirt and supporting the reds.

Against the background of the Irish Tricolour flag, Grant and I got a few photos of my travelling Northern Ireland flag.

The likes of Ash and Van Morrison came on the dukebox as Grant connected up his iPod to the speakers in the pub! I then spoke to the manager Jack about maybe working there on my travels, but alas I was headed to Peru too soon and wasn't able to add a fourth continent to my "worked in an Irish pub" list.

At night the Wild Rover really does get wild!! It's a party pub and all sorts of things go on - fancy dress, necking drinks, cocktails and nudity. Forget how high an altitude you are - enjoy the party!

I did a Slainte and Cheers with Grant - amazing having a beer with a guy from my homeland yet some 3,600 plus metres above sea level. No Guinness so it was Pacena the local stuff!

,

The pub itself may appear hidden at first and please note it is open to the public - you can head straight in and don't need to be staying there.

Situated on a random street and sinking deep into Bolivian mountains is where you find the Wild Rover and I have been to an Irish pub in 6 out of the 7 continents (didn't find on eon my trip to Antarctica).

A lifestyle of travel indeed and I loved every minute of my trip to The Wild Rover - the highest Irish Pub on the planet. Definitely a great place to relax and thanks to Grant the barman for serving me, chatting away, posing for flag photos and providing such awesome music and a fabulous travel experience!

In Ireland the phrase "Top o the morning to you" is used. Here in La Paz it was more like "top of the world to you!"



To read more stuff like <a href="http://tinyurl.com/bhqz9s6">the highest Irish Pub on the planet</a> head to Jonny Blair's extensive website about <a href="http://tinyurl.com/d739bzx">a lifestyle of travel</a> for more travel stories and tips.. This article, <a href="http://www.uberarticles.com/home.php?id=1765175&p=68737">An Irish Pub in La Paz Bolivia</a> has free reprint rights.


---------------------------------------------------
You are receiving this because you signed up for it on 2012-04-22 from IP 114.79.13.119
To fine-tune your selection of which articles to receive, just login here:

http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/bloggers/

using your username:

To unsubscribe please use the following link:

http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/unsubscribe.php?mail=wisatanusantara3.alankoesumah@blogger.com&code=d48035f43fb1db56998290ec5232b52c
---------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment